Ragnarok Turbo Academy
Welcome to Ragnarok Turbo Academy. We will do our best to improve you as a duelist here, and at the same time, you also can meet new people and interact. Please register if you have not yet done so, or sign in if you already are enrolled here. Thank you for choosing Ragnarok Turbo Academy.
Ragnarok Turbo Academy
Welcome to Ragnarok Turbo Academy. We will do our best to improve you as a duelist here, and at the same time, you also can meet new people and interact. Please register if you have not yet done so, or sign in if you already are enrolled here. Thank you for choosing Ragnarok Turbo Academy.
Ragnarok Turbo Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Academy of the Future

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to United Duel Academy. Please stay active and make a good use of the forum.
Make sure you read the academy rules here.
Make sure you introduce yourself to us here.
Do you need to get tested to be in one of the dorms? Just post a request in a new topic in the Test Requests forum here.
Do you have any suggestions to make the academy better? Just post them here.

State of the game

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
axelablaze

axelablaze

State of the game Empty
PostSubject: State of the game   State of the game I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 2:49 am

This is a topic I've been thinking about for quite a while now and I wanted to talk to you guys about it.
What do you think about the current state of the game?
Personally, the game has seemed way too expensive to me for years. The top decks have all cost hundreds of dollars to play (obviously not all of them, but you throughout the years and this has been true more often than not). With the release of the 2012 tins (and now 2.5 as well) a lot of key cards from the former biggest decks were all released, and those decks then proceeded to flood the meta.
Of course, right after that we had Return of the Duelist, Abyss Rising, and now Cosmo Blazer is coming out. With each of these new booster packs we've had new archetypes come out that have been taking over. Cool right? Yes and no. I enjoy diversity in the meta, but the prices of these decks are terrible to play competitively. Geargias, Prophecies, Mermails, and soon Fire Fists... hundreds of dollars to get them. I know I can't afford that.
Plus, the march ban list comes out in about a month. This will drive prices up or down, people will scramble to buy/sell cards... it's going to be crazy.
I'm going to wait things out until March to make my move in the game once again. By then I will hopefully have a job and enough money to support myself in all of my endeavors.
What do you guys think about this?
Back to top Go down
http://axelablaze.tumblr.com
Entr0py
Teacher
Entr0py

State of the game Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the game   State of the game I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 am

Duelist world wide does play a role in the market of YGO cards prices. Much like the real world, Its an economic balance of supply (availability/rarity) and demand (how much players value the cards and on the current format itself). I have mixed feelings about the current state of the game. In the beginning, it was all about the darks, warriors and staples. Top decks normally narrow down to three decks. Now we have much more variety and randomized match-ups. Back then it was unfair because there always seem to be those top decks that none other rogue decks can match in power or speed. It was tough but I actually liked the challenge of it as i enjoyed playing anti-meta decks but still the playing field is among the top deck's favor. Now its much more diverse, more decks to play where there really is no structured anti-meta (which is a sad reality now, time to just adapt) and with only 15 side deck available it makes it a much tougher playing field. choosing the right cards is much more important now in the competitive scene more than ever... several decks have gained the ability to produce mass advantage and archtypes/themes are not created equal. good news is supports are still coming out to those long forgotten types which is good (i.e. pyro and harpies). Right now, I will have to get a feel for the format which is my current state as a casual duelist. its nice to know you can play decks now with options to counter other decks with every set released. its fun and complicated all at once, sometimes very stressful.... cosmo blazer sneak in a few hours... should be fun to see how things develop before march... ~ Entr0py
Back to top Go down
Chaos Neo
Administrator
Chaos Neo

State of the game Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the game   State of the game I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 2:53 am

I see what you mean by the new booster sets. I remember back when Photon Shockwave came out, everyone wanted to play Rescue Rabbit for about six months, but it was too expensive for the majority of the players, now that new archetypes come is when we get to be able to play a year old deck. It seems unfair that you unless you have the money, you won't be able to try the new stuff till everyone has already been playing them for a few months.
Back to top Go down
axelablaze

axelablaze

State of the game Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the game   State of the game I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 am

I agree with everything said. I have two friends who actually bought Prophecy and Mermail decks. Both of them shelled out a few hundred dollars each to get them. Of course, Mermails are definitely the more competitive of the two, but Prophecies have so many overly rare cards that the prices get bumped up.

That's the other thing that annoys me about the game. Rarity bumps. The TCG branch of Konami sees what's popular in the OCG and then bumps up the rarity on the best cards of the set. To my surprise, a lot of the Fire Fist cards were commons or rares - easy to get cards. Then it dawned on me that it could have been a ploy in order for people to be drawn into the archetype to buy more packs to complete the decks. I didn't go to the sneak peek, but I saw a number of pack openings on Youtube and yeah... a number of those cards are going to be obnoxiously expensive.

Also, I don't know if any of you guys are Magic the Gathering fans either, but the newest set is coming out for that too. Bad time to be a poor college student. XP
Back to top Go down
http://axelablaze.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

State of the game Empty
PostSubject: Re: State of the game   State of the game I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

State of the game
Page 1 of 1