Ragnarok Turbo Academy
Welcome to Ragnarok Turbo Academy. We will do our best to improve you as a duelist here, and at the same time, you also can meet new people and interact. Please register if you have not yet done so, or sign in if you already are enrolled here. Thank you for choosing Ragnarok Turbo Academy.

The Academy of the Future

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome to United Duel Academy. Please stay active and make a good use of the forum.
Make sure you read the academy rules here.
Make sure you introduce yourself to us here.
Do you need to get tested to be in one of the dorms? Just post a request in a new topic in the Test Requests forum here.
Do you have any suggestions to make the academy better? Just post them here.

Share | 

YCS Austin Top 32 B-B-B-Breakdown!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
axelablaze

PostSubject: YCS Austin Top 32 B-B-B-Breakdown!   Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 pm

Hey, guys! Last weekend was YCS Austin and it was quite a showing. Here's the breakdown of the top 32 decks and then I'll go from there:

Top 32
Mermails - 15
Fire Fist - 4 (and one Fire Fist Rabbit deck)
Wind-ups - 1
HEROES - 2 (both different decks, one of them was Electrum OTK)
Dino Rabbit - 3
Geargia - 2
Karakuri - 2
Frognarchs - 1

Top 16
Mermails - 7
Fire Fist - 1
Wind-ups - 1
HEROES - 2
Dino Rabbit - 2
Geargia - 1
Karakuri - 1
Frognarchs - 1

Top 8
Mermails - 4
Fire Fist - 1
Wind-ups - 1
Dino Rabbit - 1
Frognarchs - 1

Top 4
Mermails - 2
Fire Fist - 1
Frognarch - 1

Winner - Mermails
2nd place - Fire Fist

First off, it's not all that surprising that Mermails made up about half of the top 32 through the top 4. They're currently one of the top decks of the format and YCS Austin showed just that. The Mermail deck that won actually ran Royal Decree, so it definitely caught people off guard and the deck was able to go all the way as a result.

For it's second legal YCS, Fire Fists did really well too. Having 4 in the top 32 (as well as a Fire Fist Rabbit deck) AND coming in 2nd in this tournament. It will be interesting to see where this deck goes from here.

Geargia and Karakuri also had a decent showing with 4 decks in total making the top 32 and 2 in the top 16. Not too shabby.

Now for the dark horses. 2 Hero decks made it all of the way to the top 16. Definitely made me happy. Absolute Zero has always been a relevant card, but with Mermails everywhere it definitely has a bigger presence again. Wind-ups had only 1 deck make it to the top 8, but that's still remarkable considering that the deck was majorly hurt by the ban list. And then there's the BIGGEST dark horse of them all: FROGNARCHS!!!!

Frognarchs aren't dead and they proved it in this YCS. The build used LADD and Jinzo; no Dupe Frogs, Lancer, or traps; and maxed out on Maxx C, Battle Fader, Enemy Controller, and Soul Exchange. Pretty interesting.

I'm slightly surprised that Hieratics and Prophecies made no impact on the YCS, but it is what it is. That being said I can't wait to see what the future has in store. Hidden Arsenal 7 comes out a little more than halfway through April, so that's when we'll start seeing some changes. LotTG follows that halfway through May. On a side note, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about Gold Series for this year yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://axelablaze.tumblr.com
Entr0py
Teacher

PostSubject: Re: YCS Austin Top 32 B-B-B-Breakdown!   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:13 am

thanks for the update axel... very useful statistics!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
axelablaze

PostSubject: Re: YCS Austin Top 32 B-B-B-Breakdown!   Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 pm

No problem. I love checking out information like this and making analyses. Plus, I love pointing out when heroes and rogue decks top an event. XD
Back to top Go down
Entr0py
Teacher

PostSubject: Re: YCS Austin Top 32 B-B-B-Breakdown!   Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:11 am

axelablaze wrote:
No problem. I love checking out information like this and making analyses. Plus, I love pointing out when heroes and rogue decks top an event. XD

like you, nothing gives me more joy in YGO big events than to find a rogue or unexpected deck top (or even come close to winning if not take it to the top). The only downside to it is that once a underrated deck comes to that point it becomes considered meta itself (even possibly played mainstream). such is the cycle of life of yugimon decks. :\
Back to top Go down
View user profile
axelablaze

PostSubject: Re: YCS Austin Top 32 B-B-B-Breakdown!   Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 am

Entr0py wrote:
axelablaze wrote:

like you, nothing gives me more joy in YGO big events than to find a rogue or unexpected deck top (or even come close to winning if not take it to the top). The only downside to it is that once a underrated deck comes to that point it becomes considered meta itself (even possibly played mainstream). such is the cycle of life of yugimon decks. :\

Well, it honestly depends though on whether they become meta or not. A lot of the time the decks that are considered rogue are the ones that fell out of the meta top tiers. A deck doesn't really become meta until it has a lot more widespread use. Grandsoil Psychics are a perfect example. This was probably one of the biggest rogue decks ever but it's not considered meta. The player who was running the deck was an expert on it and used skill and luck to make it through. The deck really hasn't had that much more impact other than that instance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YCS Austin Top 32 B-B-B-Breakdown!   

Back to top Go down

YCS Austin Top 32 B-B-B-Breakdown!
Page 1 of 1